Stuck on what to wear for photo sessions this fall? I hear ya! Picking outfits for family photos can be stressful! Here are some tips and tricks for planning your outfits for your family session.
1. Coordinating does not mean “matching”. Wearing the same color in a different shade is actually more ideal and eye pleasing than trying to find the exact color!
Softer, pastel colors tend to photograph better than bright colors – especially since bright colors could reflect on your skin. (EW!) But for fall, rich jewel tones or pastels are beautiful and go well with the background colors!
2. If one of you is wearing something with a lot of color and pattern, sometimes it’s best to have the other person wear a neutral to tone it down a bit. If you’re wearing plaid or other patterns, the bigger the better! Larger plaid photographs better than tiny little-checkered patterns. The camera can’t pick those tiny patterns up from far away and tend to make the photo look a little too busy.
3. Accessorize! Scarves, necklaces, belts, jean jackets, blazers, suspenders, cardigans…. I love them all! They can add so much to an outfit AND it gives you something to hold onto. During the fall months, you never know what the weather will be like, so having accessorizes like coats, or scars could be a good idea to wear or bring along.
4. Don’t over think it! Some wearing a simple colored v-neck and jeans is super nice!
5. Make sure you are equal when it comes to how formal your attire is. If one person is is wearing something fancy, then the other shouldn’t be in shorts and tennis shoes.
6. Don’t be afraid to be yourself and wear something that is unique to you! If you have a unique style, be sure to show it off!
7. Wear attire that is flattering to your figure and your skin tone. For example, if you don’t like the way you look in stripes on a normal, day-to-day basis, you’re not going to love the way you look in your images that I take. If you’re self conscious about your legs, don’t wear a mini-skirt. If you’re self-conscious about your arms, it’s probably not smart to wear sleeveless shirts (wear a coat or cardigan on top). Bottom line, make sure you wear something that you’re comfortable in. Sure, I’m going to teach you how to pose in super flattering ways, but you’ll love your images so much more if you wear an outfit that you’re comfortable and CONFIDENT in!! Confidence photographs well!
If you want extra ROMANTIC images, consider wearing something long and FLOWY! I absolutely love photographing fabric that flows in the wind! Also, light & neutral colors allow images to appear more light and airy no matter what the weather is like!